Friday, June 20, 2008

Germany moves on

And Cristiano Ronaldo cries, again. He was described by the Germans as the Premier Leagues "Torkoenig", otherwise known as the king of goals. While that my well be, whenever he enters general European competition, he never fails to disappoint. As I sat in the bar last night and watched the game all I wanted was to see Ronaldo cry like two years ago when they lost in the semifinals of the World Cup. There is something uniquely satisfying in watching a person who gets so much hype, so many compliments, and so much respect, before he his team even makes it past the quarterfinals, cry like a spoiled child at the end of each of his World or European Championship runs.

He is a professional actor, and a bad one at that. Every time he is touched by another player he goes down. It got the point where he was filmed yesterday laying on the ground watching until the referee turned to him. At that point he grabbed his ankle and started mimicing (spelling?) an injury yet again. What Ronaldo lacks in mental and personal fortitude he makes up for in cowardice, scheming, and brute force weeping. Even members of his own British Premier League team hate him *cough* Rooney *cough*.

While I appreciate the talents of the rest of the Portugal team, Simao, Deco, Gomes, it is undeniable that while Ronalod is still their shining star, they deserve to lose in glorious fashion, even better at the hands of a team like the Germans who don't stand around to brag but go home, go to sleep (except for Sebastian Schweinsteiger), and come to practice the next day ready to learn about their next opponent. My condolences to all the Portguese except Ronaldo. You got what you deserve. Toughen up next time and maybe the world won't hate you.

5 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

Well, personally, I don't know what the Euro Cup is coming to when the Russians beat the Dutch in the quarter finals.

I finally made it to see The Hulk this weekend. I, too, was pleased with the new version. I pretty much agree with all of your insights. Overall, I just appreciated the simplicity of the storyline. Sure, there is some small depth to the relationships between a few of the characters (i.e. Betty and the General or Betty and Bruce), but at its heart this comic is about pure, unadulterated, unstoppable destruction. I enjoy just sitting back, relaxing, and waiting for Banner to get mad, knowing that he will inevitably annhilate everyone and everything in his path and there is nothing that anyone or anything can do about it.

Oh, and the endings of these last to Marvel movies have me more excited than anything else. I can't wait for all the glorious crossovers. They sure are building it up, so if it turns out to be half of what it could be, we are in store for a wild ride.

10:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am leaving this comment so that Brent will no longer feel lonely. I also agree about soccer players being big fakers.

PS, its mimicking, I believe...

7:28 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Well, the Germans sure got away by the skin of their teeth in the semi's. Turkey??? Who knew they even played soccer in Turkey?

Go Germany!!!

8:16 AM  
Blogger Brent said...

Well, I guess Nick has decided not to continue blogging...

8:39 AM  
Blogger Meric said...

I don't understand this site. Where are the dirty pictures?

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home